Today’s article is for those remaining Obama supporters. You know who you are, the incredible shrinking pool of liberal white-guilt voters who lately have been questioning exactly why you voted for “the one.”
If you thought the economy was bad under President Bush (remember 4.5% unemployment being the “worst economy” since WW2?) here’s our own version of the “Top Ten List” compliments of Mort Zuckerman of all people, from today’s Wall Street Journal:
1. Companies are now asking employees to take unpaid leave, as opposed to being laid'-off or other forms of reduction in work force.
2. 1.4 million unemployed workers are no longer counted because the Government believes they are no longer “actively looking” for work.
3. Part-time employment has doubled to 9 million workers since Obama took office.
4. The average work week is now 48 minutes shorter than when the recession began in December of 2007.
5. The number of long-term unemployed is now at 4.4 million, an all time high. (Note: the long-term unemployed number doubled during Obama’s first 6 months in office.)
6. There have been no wage gains in six (6) months straight. Another Obama economy “first.”
7. The manufacturing sector in the United States lost over 223,000 jobs in June alone. (A total of 467,000 jobs were lost in June across all non-farm payrolls.)
8. When business picks up, companies will add hours to their existing workers, rather than create new jobs.
9. Some business lines are being eliminated entirely, decreasing the odds that the unemployed will be able to find work. (Circuit City anyone?)
10. To determine the number of unemployed, the Government used a random sample of 185,000 people in June, but could not very the employment or unemployment status of those sampled. This means the actual amount of unemployed/underemployed in the country could actually be much higher than that being “officially” reported.
As if this weren’t bad enough, those of you who are unemployed will have a harder time finding a job than in previous recessions because businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed. That’s right, in today’s economy in order to get a job, you have to already have one. If you’re unemployed in the Obama economy, you’re considered “dead weight” whereas those still working are considered the cream of the crop and the most desireable.
So Obama voters, how’s that hope and change working out for ya?