As predicted in this very blog, Barak Hussein Obama has flip-flopped on offshore drilling before the Democrat convention.
From yesterday's McClatchey Newspapers:
WASHINGTON — Barack Obama Friday dropped his opposition to offshore oil drilling, saying he could go along with the idea if it was part of a broader energy package.
Obama made his comments in St. Petersburg during an interview with the Palm Beach Post. "My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," he said.
"If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage - I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done," the paper quoted Obama as saying.
The change is dramatic because Obama often pointed to his opposition to drilling as a key difference between himself and presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain. (See included YouTube video.)
With all due respect to those responsible for writing this story, they've missed the mark. Allow me to elaborate as to why this latest Obamaflop is really significant:
- Poll after poll shows more than 75% of American's are in-favor of offshore drilling to bring down energy prices. This has been reflected in at least 10 major polls. The lamestream media has begrudgingly reported these polls, mostly in the newspapers.
- The Democrat Party led by Nancy "I'm Trying To Save The Planet!!" Pelosi is increasingly being blamed for high gas prices. Their do-nothing, block-everything policies towards drilling for our own oil, exploiting our own oil shale, coal gassification, and nuclear power are the primary cause of energy costs more than doubling over the last two years. As reported in one of our previous posts "Like High Gas Prices? Thank Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and of course Barak Obama" fuel prices under the Democrat controlled Congress have more than doubled in two years.
- The same Democrat Party that is blocking all relief from high energy prices has a public approval rating of just 9%.
- Barak Hussein Obama has dropped on average, 10 percentage points in all major polls in just the last week. Could that have anything to do with being associated with the Do Nothing Democrats? Absolutely!
Now here's the biggest problem for Obama: He's a Democrat, the same as Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. Sooner or later, the American Public is going to wake up and see Obama as part of a larger problem in the do-nothing Democrat Controlled Congress, and the 9% approval rating of Congress is going to stick to him.
To this day, I've been somewhat perplexed by the public's so-called "embracing" of Obama. After all, how does the so-called "leading candiate" for the highest office in this country come from a party with a 9% approval rating? I don't see anyone asking that question - yet, but I have to think eventually someone will:
- Lamestream Media Reporter: Mr. Obama, your party has a 9% approval rating and fuel prices have more than doubled since the Democrats took over Congress and blocked all efforts at energy independence. Why should the American voters cast their votes for you and continue allowing the Democrats to control Congress?
On second thought, you and I both know that question likely may never be asked. Yet, Obama has to find a way to distance himself from the do-nothing, block-everything Democrat Controlled Congress lest that 9% approval rating find a way to stick to him. Certainly his 10 point drop in the polls in the last week has had nothing to do with his change in position! (sic)
And that's why the latest Obamaflop is significant. Sooner or later, the elephant in the room that's waiting to bust out in this election will no longer be able to be ignored.
This election will be about gas prices, stupid.
And when that happens, Obama and the do-nothing, block all efforts at energy independence Democrats are in big, big trouble.